Sunday, October 19, 2008

Pirates on the Loose

NATO warships have arrived to the Gulf of Aden, to fend of thats right you said it, Pirates from Somalia. Now at first, I have to say I was all for the piracy, finally some good old fashion Buccaneers bringing the ruckus to the high seas. But unfortunately, after finding out some of there antics, it hurts me to say NATO should being them down.
NATO has received permission from Somali Prime Minister Nur Hassan Hussein to carryout any military action to deter the pirates. The NATO ships will specifically be protecting the U.N World Food Program carriers containing vital relief supplies. It has been reported that the pirates have attacked 60 ships this year alone, with ransoms reported between $18 to $30 million. The ransoms are being used to fund the war in Somalia, suspending my sponsorship of there organization. Currently, the pirates are holding a Ukrainian ship with cargo of Soviet made tanks and other war supplies for a hefty ransom of $20 million. A even more frightening thought considering one of the recipient of the pirates loot is Al-Shabaab, an Islamic militant who has been named to the terrorist organization list by the U.S. For a modern pirate organization, I shamefully say I'm impressed.
My Dreams of a Captain Jack running the seas fell flat on its face, upon hearing the atrocities the pirates commite. It was all too good to be true. The days of 17th century pirates, I sadly must realize are over.

No comments: